This workshop introduces participants to the design of computer games. We present hands-on game design experiences immersing participants in the language of game design, making and playing.
Participants will be introduced to the design thinking process and systems thinking, and explore how game design relates to many aspects of the Victorian Curriculum.
As this is a BYOD course, participants will need to bring their own laptop.
The workshop is targeted at teachers of Years 4-8.
By the end of the workshop, participants should be able to:
1. Describe the five key elements of game design.
2. Evaluate and consider a game’s balance.
3. Summarise the design thinking process and systems thinking.
4. Identify connections between game design, design thinking and systems thinking in relation to the Digital Technologies Curriculum and Design Technologies Curriculum.
5. Recognise cross-curricular connections including English, Mathematics & Science.
6. Consider assessments for game design and design thinking.